July 01, 2006

Shoot the Moon

Peggy's Cove is a quaint fishing village about half an hour away from Halifax. 60 people live there; the rest are tourists. Their lighthouse is a post office. It gets windy there but it feels like you could move in and know everyone around and fish for a living.
I found some treasures at the beach today. I found two kinds of sea life that I can't identify but that looked neat enough for me to take. And glass that's been rubbed smooth by the waves and pieces of shells that look like pearls.
On Canada Day, the right thing to do is watch fireworks. For the first time in my life, I watched them from a balcony as they were shot into the sky off of a boat in the harbor. Richer people than Dan and I took their boats and their friends on the water. They lasted for a long time and I've concluded that they can buy colors and shapes that Saskatoon can't afford. I like being Canadian.
Tomorrow is my last day here. It feels heavy. The best thing about tomorrow is that we're going to a gospel church in the morning and because I'm used to pretending to be black, it will be great.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home